It always feels good to come home to a home-cooked meal and enjoy it with the whole family. In fact, even at parties and events, most clients prefer a home-cooked style of dishes to be served because its warm and tastes inviting. There are many party rentals who had witnessed the food and catering trend where the majority of event planner and organizers requests a menu that has a home-cooked taste and feel and more authentic and sometimes customized.
So, if you love to cook and enjoy the task of cooking for others, especially if you have a house party during special occasions and holidays then why not turn that passion of yours into a home-based business – a catering business. Besides turning your hobby into earnings is not a bad idea, in fact, there are a lot of business entrepreneur who venture into the food market because everybody loves to eat.
HOW TO START A HOMEBASED CATERING BUSINESS?
Although there is no incontestable formula on how to have a successful home catering business, your passion in cooking and your expert-ingredient skill, together with determination will be your edge to be an accomplished food concessionaire. Actually, a catering business can go from part-time to full-time, and vice-versa, depending on the season and the demand for your services. With that, you can already expect an earnings between $30,000 to $80,000 per year, and these figures are still subject to change.
In the food business, it’s okay to start small. You can start from small parties and events which you can manage with just the help of a few staff and from there you can assess yourself whether it is something that you really wanted to pursue or not.
The start-up cost will really depend on how big you wanted to push it. You also have to consider your state’s food selling requirements and what you initially have to begin this business. On an average, you can start at an investment of $10,000 and it can still be less if you have already started from small events. It will also make you easier to open and market your business if you already have that kind of experience.
Many food catering startups succeed by focusing on a particular specialty or dish; mastering a niche which you can incorporate on certain events to manage overhead low while being able to effortlessly market it too. Like for instance, you are a sushi expert and everyone who tastes your sushi will really vouch for it. So if you are more of a Japanese food chef, you will focus first on events and parties with a Japanese theme or supply Japanese dishes to Japanese companies until your market expands.
ON YOUR MARK
Now, if you are really decided on entering this kind of home-based business, here are the steps to get started in your home-based catering service.
- Think about what type of catering service you will be offering.
- Contact your state/city health department or occupational licensing office and find out how you can be allowed to run this kind of business; the laws you need to abide by and permits that you need to obtain.
- Set up a business structure. You have to protect your personal assets from the business and you can do that by instituting a limited liability company or if you’re not an alone in this business, establish a partnership. It is important that you name your business first before you can move on to the other steps.
- Obtain a business license and liability insurance to protect your business in case someone gets sick.
- Create an accurate business plan.
- Detail your marketing strategies and materials.
- Present a menu. You can can have a list where clients can choose from a packaged meal or customized set.
- Make sure that your cookware, dishware, utensils, and serving tool and other food-preparation accessories are all bought from a professional brand.
- Contact vendors that can help market your business and services. Provide them with flyers or leaflets with all your details and what you are offering.
- Be ready to invest in a system that can collect and respond to inquiries, referrals and testimonials. Social media marketing can be your advantage too.
- Offer discounts for every referral.
Entering a catering business is never easy. Even the established caterers equipment rentals Rockland NY suppliers have survived and still surviving challenges in this kind of venture. So if you wanted to start your own catering business at home, just follow the above steps and start cooking your way to your dream.Read More »